Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Spirit of Liberty 5K and Fun Run

This was our first year running in the Spirit of Liberty 5K and 1 mile fun run. This is a race that usually has high participation from the local runners, however, it was really slack this year due to the way that the dates fell. Many of the "usual" runners were out of town for the long holiday weekend. Nevertheless, we showed up and had a great time. The 5K and one mile were run at the same time, so Brian was left with the task of keeping up with both kids during their run. He said that Owen was a little whiny, but sucked it up and made it. Olivia did really well but couldn't go as fast as possible because she had to hang back and wait on Owen. In the end, it didn't matter because she was the only girl entered in the fun run. This means that she WON the trophy for OVERALL FEMALE. Now you and I know that she probably would not have won had anyone else entered, but she doesn't understand that. She is soooooo proud of her trophy. It is pretty big- bigger than any of mine. I think that this is one of the best things that could have happened. Her love for running has now reached a new level because she has won a major award. Olivia wasn't the only decorated runner. Owen received a medal for participating, and I won 1st place in my age division with a time of 27.45. And yes, I was the only one in my age group- so I won by default. I also got a trophy, but mine was smaller than Olivia's. She didn't hestitate to point this out to me over and over again. Before heading home, Olivia insisted that we stop by the post office and show her trophy to Gigi. She also wanted me to bring my trophy into the post office so that she could show Gigi how much bigger hers was than mine. Ahhh... I think we've created a monster.















































No comments: