Friday, November 14, 2014

Savannah Marathon

 So, here is a selfie that I took about 14 miles into  last weekend's Savannah Rock and Roll Marathon.  How did I have time to take a selfie you ask?  Well, that's a funny story (not really).  As it turns out, that dull, nagging pain I had been feeling in my foot during the two weeks before the race was actually caused by a stress fracture.  Guess when I realized how bad my foot was hurt?  That's right- around mile 14 of the marathon.  I had already planned to run a slow marathon because my foot had been bothering me, but the last half of the race ended up being a run-walk (and the last several miles were a flat out walk).  I did finish, but my time was a personal worst- 5:48:22.  I was on the course from about 7 a.m. until about 1 p.m., and I got really, really hungry.  I knew that my time was shot so I said "to heck with it" and stopped to get some food at a convenience store that was on the route.  That's right- I stopped in the middle of a marathon to eat a Snicker bar and drink a Pepsi.  This was a looooonnnngg 26.2.  I have never been so glad to see a finish line in my life.

The doctor says that the way to treat a stress fracture like mine is to stay off of it until it heals.  I guess that this means I won't be doing any more races until after the new year.  This has been a very frustrating year for me.  I had some issues with my shin in the spring and was forced to sit out for nearly 12 weeks, and now I'm ending the year with a foot injury.  Boo.  I guess there's always the pool, elliptical, and bike.  Although I'm generally disappointed with my running this year, there were a few bright spots.  When not injured, I was able to complete nine 5ks, one 8k, one 10k, one 15k, one triathlon, one half marathon, and two full marathons.  I also finished first overall female in one of the 5ks and set PRs in both the 5k and marathon distances (not the last marathon, obviously).  I would like to start setting my run calendar for next year, but what I really want is to get back to 100% and stay there.

No comments: