Saturday, September 3, 2011

Time to "Du" Something New


Last Saturday I participated in the Megan's House Heels and Wheels Duathlon. A duathlon is a run-bike-run event. This particular duathlon had me run 2 miles, bike 13, and then run 2 more miles. I've been thinking about branching out into cycling for awhile, and I'm glad that I finally made the leap. I'm not going to lie, I was more than a little nervous about the biking portion of the race. Thankfully, when I pulled up to the event Mat Boatright (my friend Carrie's husband) was there and he really helped me out a lot. He double checked the air in my tires, showed me how to set my bike up in the transition area, and explained to me everything that I needed to know. I felt so much better after talking to him. The race began, and I started off pretty good. I ran at my max pace for the first two miles, and I transitioned with no problem.... And then there was the bike ride (sigh). Let's just say that it was obviously my first biking event. I did make it through the ride though. The only thing left to do was run two more miles, which I did but with more difficulty than the first two. I finished with a time of 1:28:37, which isn't terrible for a first try. I really enjoyed this event. The biking was a nice complement to the running, and I am hoping to pursue more events that incorporate it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

New bike?

The Sanders Family said...

Nope- it's an old bike that I got for $25 at Toys R Us about 6 years ago (long story). It wasn't assembled correctly. I just got it up and running so that I could "try out" duathlons. It got me through the race, but performance wise- it's not up to par. Went bike shopping w/ my dad today =)