Saturday, March 26, 2011

Swamp Run '11

This morning, we all participated in the annual Okefenokee Swamp Run. Unlike the last two years, the race was actually held at the Okefenokee Swamp Park instead of at Laura Walker Park this year. I must say, I missed Laura Walker. The 10K trail this year was extremely tough. I had more difficulty with this race then I did with the Gate River 15K- and that race ended with a bridge! The problem was that four of the six miles were run on a dirt road, and the dirt was not packed down. It was like trying to run through the thick, loose sand that you find at the beach (not the kind close to the water). All of the runners had trouble with the course. I ended up with a time of 55:42, which is exactly a minute slower than last year. I'm lucky that I didn't lose more than a minute because I was really struggling. Even though I disliked the course, there were some positives about having the race at the swamp park. One perk was that all runners got free admission into the park. So while I was out stomping through the sand, Brian took the kids to look at the gators. This kept them occupied until it was their turn to race.








Once my race was complete, it was time for the 1-mile to begin. Like last year, Brian ran with Olivia and I ran with Owen. The kids did great this year. Other parents with small children had to pick their kids up and carry them, but Brian and I didn't do that. If the kids get tired, we try to teach them to slow the pace or walk because that's what they'll have to do in a couple of years when they're running alone. Olivia did really well and finished right around the 15 minute mark. Owen finished at about 17:30. The big news, though, is that for the first time in three years we didn't finish last. Don't get me wrong- we were very close to the end, but we weren't last. Yay- progress! Both kids received finisher medals for completing the race. They are really building a nice little collection of these.

Even though I hadn't run as well as I would have liked, I ended up placing second in my age division. The medals this year were really cute. So, I'm happy to report another successful year at the Swamp Run. I look forward to next year, and cross my fingers that they will change the course.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good job! Did you see my brother and his family?